Top Ten Books I Would Love To See As A Movie/TV Show
(in no order!)
10) Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home by Rhoda I really think this could work. I think people would love to see a movie where a middle aged woman gets dumped by her husband for a man and goes home to her crazy family and finds her roots. I’m pretty sure there are plenty of movies like that (can’t think of one right now, feel free to chime in) so I think the movie industry should look into this one.
9) Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison Teenage girls with British accents and cats? How has this not been made? Cats, people! Cats!
8) The Twenty-one Balloons by William Pène du Bois This was such a fun book as a kid! Imagine that it’d translate well to screen. Kind of like UP but more quirky.
7) Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews I know that there was a movie in the 80s. But it was very tame compared to the book and really glazed over things. I want a version that didn’t gloss over that these kids were abandoned by their mother for financial gain and that a brother raped his sister (I’m saying raping b/c the text isn’t really consensual). Want a true, gritty, dirty version.
6) In the Land of the Blind: A Zombie Story by Robert Swartwood Zombies are quite popular now! And this is a great twist on them. Think this story could be a great movie.
5) A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore Dream cast time? I want to see the little girl (played by twins by whatever) from the TV show ‘Raising Hope’ as Sophie. I’d love to see her point to someone, yell “Kitty!” and see them drop dead. Oh yes. Plus Samuel L. Jackson as Minty Fresh.
4) The Sweet Potato Queens’ First Big-Ass Novel by Jill Conner Browne Couldn’t you see it? Sweet Potato Queen’s First Big-Ass Movie! Think the Queens tried for a TV show once and obviously nothing came from it. But I love that potential title…
3) The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini How has this not been made yet?
2) Losts Souls & Drawing Blood by Poppy Z. Brite I mentioned both since they are technically in the same ‘verse. Oh, it’d be amazing if there was a movie of this. It’d have to be an indie film and probably low budget but it’d still be so amazing to see these characters come to life. Way back in the day, PZB was asked about his dream cast for Lost Souls (in fact it still remains on his website)
Q. What’s your dream cast for LOST SOULS?
I’m tired of all this pale-faced Goth stuff. Here’s my new and genuinely brilliant LOST SOULS dream cast:
Steve: Ice Cube
Ghost: Chris Rock
Zillah: Snoop Dogg
Molochai & Twig: Tray Deee and Goldie Loc (Tha Eastsidaz)
Nothing: Li’l Bow Wow
Ann: Foxy Brown
AAAAAAAND … ISAAC HAYES AS CHRISTIAN!
I am 100% serious, especially about Snoop.
1) The Mists of Avalon by Marion Z Bradley I know there was already a movie. But it SUCKED. An utter travesty. There needs to be something better, more detailed and faithful. It’d be so damn epic.
Top Ten Tuesday is brought to you by The Broke and the Bookish